Sunday, May 27, 2012

Is This Real Life?


I’ve officially lived in Oviedo for a full week now! Only four more left :(
            The first couple of days were reallllly rough. I’m not going to lie, it was definitely difficult to convince myself that this is where I wanted to be and what I wanted to be doing. When you are surrounded by a completely new place and new atmosphere, it’s hard enough. Throw in a language that you can barely understand and it’s even harder. I met my new host mother, Maria, and she is amazing. I already love her so much, but the language barrier makes things VERY difficult. I am understanding more and more everyday, thank goodness. I was so excited to start classes, for the sole reason of not feeling like an idiot anymore. You can only smile and nod for so long.
            In the beginning, I could tell mi mama nueva was getting frustrated with me, which is completely understandable. She speaks so fast, and the accent here is incredibly thick. But I just keep smiling and commenting and she speaks as though I know everything she is saying, which couldn’t be farther from the truth. I can’t wait until the day that I actually do. She is a great cook and the eating schedule is completely different than what I am used to. I eat breakfast before school at about 9:00am and lunch doesn’t come until after classes, at 2:00pm. We then have siesta and the rest of the day for homework and exploring before dinner at 9:30pm. These past couple of days, me and the other students from the U have spent the evenings exploring the center of the city. It is SO beautiful. Words cannot describe how much I love this city already. It has so much character. The city is extremely old and the buildings are breathtaking. The shopping here is amazing. There are shops and boutiques everywhere you look. I love the schedule here. It leaves so much time for exploring. However, they stay up realllllly late which makes waking up in the morning even harder…
            The city is so historic and the buildings are beautiful. The cathedral stands in the middle of town and everything kind of webs out from it. Meeting places are always in the plazas. I feel like I am living in a movie or a storybook. It’s too beautiful here to be real life. I live in an apartment above the street the school is on. The streets are all lined with shops, with the apartments above them. I am on the fourth floor (which is technically the fifth in Spain), so I get a perfect view.
            Everyday has been amazing. The school threw us a party on Thursday so we got to go to a really cool restaurant and hang out with the professors and students. This is the city that never sleeps. Even my cute old host mom goes to bed way after me. She tells me to go out every night after dinner and see how the nightlife is. This town is so laid back, yet so exciting. There are streets and streets of only dance clubs. On Saturday, we took a trip to two cities in Spain, Astorga and León. They both had so much history and character. We had free reign to walk around and explore. The architecture of the buildings and cathedrals blows my mind. They are GIGANTIC and so detailed. I wish the pictures did them justice. 
            I can’t believe it has already been a week and I only have four weeks left. It’s weird to think that life at home is going on without me. It’s not real life here. As much as I miss friends, family, and the familiarity of home, at times I never want to leave here. I just think that certain people from home should take a little trip out here to visit :)


No comments:

Post a Comment