Friday, May 11, 2012

The Final Countdown

            It's the weekend before I leave for Europe and so many thoughts are running through my head. What to pack, what to leave behind,  who to see. It seems like the more I check off my to-do list, the more I add. I've waited so long for this. It still hasn't hit me that I'll be traveling Europe and living in a foreign country for seven weeks. Not until I've survived the 13 hour flight and made it through customs in London, England will it be real for me. After a few days in London, I'll head to Madrid and have one afternoon and night to explore the capitol city before boarding a train the next morning to Oviedo where my new university and host family await me. According to the Study Abroad office, I am living with one woman in an apartment above a cute street lined with shops. I cannot wait to meet her and develop a long-lasting relationship. I'm so worried that my inadequate language skills will make for a very awkward couple of days, but I know that living around her and speaking Spanish exclusively will improve my abilities exponentially. 
           I'm so excited to meet the locals, develop friendships, and see the city through their eyes. The excursions are probably what I'm looking forward to most. I have serious wanderlust and want to see as much of the country as I can, especially the surrounding areas. Having Tim as a tour guide will make it all the more special, since he has been there before and knows the area so well. 
           In four short days, I will be crossing off Number One on my bucket list.  For as long as I can remember, Spain has been my it destination. It's finally becoming a realization and I couldn't be more excited. Fear of the unknown has no place in my life. I'm ready for this leap of faith and am going to take it in stride. The world is made to be explored and I plan to do just that. This is the opportunity of a lifetime and I'm going to make the most of it. ¡Hasta pronto España!

No comments:

Post a Comment